Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kid-Sized Economics

Today, L and I supported the most local of the local economy: the sidewalk lemonade stand. As we headed out on our daily walk, we passed two elementary-aged girls on the corner sitting at a table with a big glass pitcher of lemonade.

I happily turned over a quarter for a large paper cup of lemonade.

When I was a kid I loved to sell things by the side of the road. Kool-Aid, Tang, lemonade… anything we could find in the pantry was a potential consumer good as far as we were concerned. (We hadn’t yet grasped the concept of supply and demand.)

Once my friend and I even made perfume by mashing up dandelions and combining it with some baby oil. (It smelled awful, and needless to say, the customers were very few.)

There was something very satisfying about making something and selling it. I wouldn’t say we ever did a swift business, but it was fun, and we learned a little about sales and marketing. After spending a day trying to sell Tang out of our backyard, we realized the importance of signage and a good location!

Summer is a great time to support kids’ economic endeavors, either by helping your kids set up their own stand or by being a good customer in your neighborhood.

And, for 25 cents a glass… lemonade is one thing that is still a good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment